Monday, September 16, 2013

DIY Ruffled Duvet Cover

Anthropologie's Nimbus Duvet Cover - $130                                 My Copycat Version - $60                         

It's been quite awhile since I've had time to do a craft project, let alone post one. Seeing as how labor intensive this duvet cover was to make I feel like it makes up for all the projects I didn't get around to over the summer. Now that the seasons are changing and it's getting chillier here I end up spending more time inside which means more projects get finished. We also moved into a new house, and I have plenty of ideas for projects and things I want to do. I plan on posting some of my ideas and room inspirations from my Pinterest boards later on this week.

 I originally wanted to make a duvet cover because the comforter I have is years and years old and is dirty and flat, and should probably be thrown away. Seeing as how I'm into using things until they disintegrate in my hands I figured I could probably just make a simple duvet cover to pretty it up a bit, and extend the lifespan of the comforter. While looking around online I originally found a number of beautiful duvet covers on Anthropogie's website . If you click that link you'll be taken to images of some of gloriest looking bedspreads you can imagine, the downside is that they all cost between $150-$399! Even a pillow/sham is around $80-$90.  Gag, right? Lucky for me, there are a lot of other bloggers out there who had the same idea as me and just decided to make their own versions and had step by step tutorials to follow.


I originally based the version I wanted to make off of the Cirrus Duvet cover, but I can't find a link from the Anthropologie website of that, however they have a very similar version called the Nimbus Duvet cover, which is the picture up top on the left. I followed Mari Makes tutorial, which was fantastic and easy to follow. I did some things differently: I didn't add a border to mine, and instead of having the strips of fabric that hold the ruffles in place show I chose to keep those on the inside. I felt that they really broke up the look of the ruffles. I used really small pieces of fabric for my strips, so maybe the size and the fact that I kind of rushed through it made it unaesthetically pleasing to my eye.


I originally wanted the duvet cover to be emerald green, the theme for the spare room is based around the dresser I redid, and I thought an emerald cover would really tie that in while being dark enough to make it less obvious if it got stained/dirty. I wasn't able to find emerald flat sheets anywhere though which is why I put this project off for awhile. I finally just settled on white, however I did see a cute pair of coral colored flat sheets at Target. I bought 3 queen sized flat sheets, 2 for the front and 1 for the back. I won't go through the step by step, you can check out the Mari's tutorial for that, but this was pretty easy to make if not time consuming. The most frustrating part to me was the amount of fabric you were working with, a lot, and the space you need to lay everything out when measuring, etc.

I love the way it turned out and I can't wait to buy some new pillows and continue decorating this room, check back soon for a post dedicated to my spare bedroom decorating ideas and updates on the room itself!



2 comments:

  1. Wow Aimee, that looks really pretty! Looks like a lot of work went into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee, I was so impressed by your duvet. I can't wait to see your next project.
      Your grandma's girlfriend

      Delete