photo HomeHeaderPages_zps121b83d7.jpg  photo AboutHeaderPages_zps6faf416f.jpg  photo ContactHeaderPages_zps0989aee4.jpg

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Floral Belladone Dress

Fabric: Mystery Cotton from Colorado Fabrics
Pattern: Deer & Doe Belladone

Let me start by saying that I have so much regret...regret that I waited so long to make this pattern because it is fabulous. This is the first pattern I've made from Deer & Doe, a pattern company based in France, and this pattern has basically sold me on them as a whole. I had originally planned to make this pattern way back in the fall when I picked up this fall floral themed fabric. I don't know why I twiddled my thumbs for so long. Sadly now that it's nearly spring it probably won't get a lot of wear until August/September, but believe me when I say I'm going to wear it to death until winter's truly over. It snowed just a tiny bit yesterday so I have a little bit of time.


 Check out that diamond keyhole back! (definitely the technical term)

The pattern instructions come printed in both French and English and while they didn't hold your hand through the process they were still easy to understand and interpret. Based on the measurements I sewed a 40 through the bodice and waist and graded out to a 44 through the skirt. I think I could probably get a way with a 42 through the skirt just because it flares out naturally, but depending on the fabric the bigger size could make for a fuller skirt. The bodice fits pretty well but it's the slightest bit loose. I don't think it's loose enough that I could go down a size. Next time I'd probably take a half inch off each side around the back zipper.

Every dress should have pockets!


I'm pretty sure this is going to become a tried and true pattern for me. I'm already envisioning making a ton of different versions. I think you could really play around with contrast at the waistband and around the back and neckline where you stabilize with bias tape.


Even though it did snow the other day I've got spring on the brain. There are a ton of other fall/winter patterns I wanted to sew this past season but it just didn't happen. I'm putting those aside for now and focusing on the upcoming season. I've been pinning all of the patterns I want to make over on my Spring 2015 pinterest board while trying not to go to overboard. Do you guys plan what patterns you're going to make seasonally?

1 comment: