Saturday, June 7, 2014

Cake Patterns Espresso Leggings

Pattern: Espresso Leggings - Cake Patterns  
Fabric: Ponte DeRoma (poly/rayon/spandex) & a spandex blend both from Colorado Fabrics

Hey everyone, I haven't posted in awhile because I was out of town. Before I left I managed to get a ton of things sewn, like the two pairs of leggings above, but I didn't have time to post all of the makes until now. I love leggings, mainly for lounging and working out in and one of the two pairs I have was getting pretty worn out. I remembered seeing a post awhile back on Dixie's blog about a legging pattern that she had used and really liked due to the fact that you use your exact measurements to get a perfectly fitting pair! Sold. I had previously taken a trip down to Colorado Fabrics in Denver which is an amazing fabric store. The place is huge and they have all of these discount tables in the back with different amounts of pre-cut fabric in varying amounts. The only downside to shopping from these tables is that the type of fabric is rarely listed on the tags. That being said I was very careful when looking for fabric, I knew I wanted to be working with a very stretchy material like spandex, but I didn't want it to be see-through when stretched. I had to stop myself from bankrupting myself and so I just grabbed these two fabrics for now, and I plan on making many more leggings in the future because I really liked this pattern especially after I worked out a few kinks.

This was my first time using a pdf pattern that I printed myself and the taped all together and I was expecting it to be harder than it was. The hardest part was waiting patiently for my printer to print all of the pages. I will say that the instructions on how to measure and then trace out this pattern were really easy, needless to say I still measured myself wrong. Unfortunately I didn't realize this until I had fully constructed the grey pair of leggings. What's the saying, "measure twice, cut once"? I either need to start doing that or making muslin's. I'm still holding out on making muslin's though, I just can't stand the thought of all of the time and resources it will take for a piece I won't wear, even if that means the piece I do wear ends up fitting a bit better. The nice thing about making leggings is that the fabric is stretchy, so I was able to make them fit. I had cut the crotch too low, but rectified that mistake before making the second pair.

You can see that pulling them up higher so the crotch fit where it's supposed to that the fabric of the leggings is pulled rather tight. Additionally it makes the leggings come up around the calf instead of the ankles. I've decided to gift them to my roommate who's shorter than me and they will hopefully fit her better.

This second pair came out perfect except for a little gaping in the back which I think I can correct by making the waistband measurement a little smaller on the next pair I make. I can't wait to get more fabric to make more 'workout' style and just everyday comfy pairs as well.

1 comment: