photo HomeHeaderPages_zps121b83d7.jpg  photo AboutHeaderPages_zps6faf416f.jpg  photo ContactHeaderPages_zps0989aee4.jpg

Friday, January 24, 2014

Sewing: Long Sleeved, Scoop Neck Renfrew Top

                       The Sewaholic Renfrew Pattern - $15.98                          My first me made shirt!                                         

This past summer I had asked for the Renfrew Pattern for my birthday, and I was very happy when I received it from my grandma! This pattern is made buy the same lady who makes the Minoru Jacket Pattern.  When I was home over Christmas we took a trip over to this awesome fabric store in Chicago, Textile Discount Outlet, and got some fabric for me to finally sew some tops. I was having a hard time finding fabric that I liked at my JoAnn's, and I haven't really gotten on board with buying fabric online yet. I like seeing and feeling the fabric first, but I know plenty of people who buy online or off of Etsy. One of the fabrics I bought was this grey sweatshirt cotton that I thought would be as comfy as a sweatshirt but more fitted than a normal sweatshirt is. To see more pictures and find out about how easy this pattern was click the link below.




This pattern is really neat mainly because you can make so many combinations: short sleeve, 3/4 length sleeves, long sleeves, scoop neck, v-neck, cowl neck, or any of those combinations. The pattern is only a few pieces which makes it quick to cut out, and sewing the piece together is a cinch. I'm interested in seeing how this sews up when the fabric is more of a stretchy knit. I had a little bit of trouble piecing the neckband on to the shirt, it just seemed like the neckband fabric was too short for the actual neck opening. I worked out that you have to stretch the neckband piece when you pin it to the opening for it to fit, pray to the sew gods, and try to avoid any wrinkles. The same goes for the waistband. I love the fit, and the way the shirt turned out, and I can't wait to make all of my other ones. I'm hoping to have some time later this week to make a dressy short sleeved scoop neck version!

2 comments: