photo HomeHeaderPages_zps121b83d7.jpg  photo AboutHeaderPages_zps6faf416f.jpg  photo ContactHeaderPages_zps0989aee4.jpg

Monday, May 5, 2014

Wardrobe Overhaul

Top Row From Left: 1, 2, 3, 4
       Bottom Row From Left: 1, 2, 3,
       

I've been thinking a lot more about my wardrobe, especially since I have been trying to plan what patterns to purchase in the upcoming months. At first I was just going to buy seasonal things, but I really decide to stop and think things out more especially after following Coletterie's Wardrobe Architect Series. The series really made me put a lot of thought into my style, styles I think I like but don't really work well on me, colors, and pieces I love wearing. More than that it really made me focus on what sorts of things I want to make in order to build up my wardrobe with pieces that will be well made and last for years. I don't really want buy trendy things or cheaply made things that I rarely wear, that don't fit well, or that I end up tossing out/giving away after a year or worse a few months. The above items are silhouette's of pieces I would like to have or add to my spring/summer wardrobe. Some of the things listed above are exact pieces I want to make and others are examples of types of things I want. Click the link below to keep reading about my color palette and patterns I'm planning on using to make some of the above outfits.


I planned out this color scheme based on colors I like and colors I think look nice with my skin tone. I picked a mix of neutrals, nearly neutrals, and some accent colors. I realized afterwards that I didn't really have anything that bright or 'spring like'. I almost changed it up, but I realized I don't really like too many bright colors and I don't think they necessarily look that well on me. I feel like this will be helpful when I'm trying to pick out fabric for patterns. Sometimes all of the choices are so overwhelming that I end up purchasing fabric or clothes that I don't really like or that don't complement me and then I don't end up wearing them. Hopefully having this framework will keep me focused and make the pieces in my wardrobe feel more connected, especially if I want to mix and match items.

I looked through my closet and I'm lucky in that I already have some of the silhouette's list above like shorts, maxi skirts, and V-necks. I might buy a few more V-necks in some neutral colors, or if I have time, make a few. It was really fun thinking about the pieces I wanted to add to my wardrobe and the patterns I would use to accomplish that goal. My list and the patterns I'm planning on using are:

     - Mini skirt: Moss Skirt by Grainline Studio
     - Wrap dress: Nicola Dress by Victory Patterns
     - Summery dress: Leini Dress by Named Clothing, Moneta dress by Collette Patterns
     - Shorts: Maritime Shorts by Grainline Studio
     - Button up shirt: Archer Button Up Shirt by Grainline Studio
     - Tank top: Vita Knot Top by Named Clothing

I'm really hoping to get to all of those things sometime this summer. It might be fall before I'm finished, but then i'll be ready for next spring/summer. I will probably just add a couple of pieces to my spring/summer and fall/winter wardrobes. I can accent in new patterns or styles or add different colors and have a nice cohesive wardrobe. Other than those things I think I will only buy a few accessory items like a pair of wedges, sunglasses, and some fun bangles or necklaces. I enjoyed writing this post and am hoping it inspires some of you to take a look into changing up yours. Even if you're just purchasing pieces instead of sewing them!

1 comment: